In Acts and Paul’s other letters, we read frequently of a man named Barnabas, whose name meant “Son of Encouragement.” He was Paul’s partner in ministry for many of his missionary journeys and although they later parted ways, God greatly used Barnabas in the development of the New Testament Church.
For Northwest Haiti Christian Mission, Barnabas Interns are short-term missionaries. Some are considering missions as a career and want to gain real-world experience. Others simply want to dedicate a period of their lives to service in overseas missions. They usually come with specific professional or ministry skills and a specific vision and plan. They need a strong work ethic and should be a self-starter, comfortable working independently, while still being part of a team. They also need to know how their vision fits within the framework of the ministry of Northwest Haiti Christian Mission.
- These positions may last from one month to a year.
- Individuals must express a specific vision and plan for their internship.
- Individuals must demonstrate maturity, a strong work ethic and the ability to work independently.
Areas of need (Professionals or students in these areas):
- Nurse/PA, NP, doctor, midwife, other medical professionals
- Teacher: ESL/TESOL, Elementary (to work with missionary children), Teacher trainer
- Accountant, Bookkeeper, or Business Manager
- Sustainable/local food and Nutrition consultant
- Electrical/Mechanical engineer
- Social Worker, Case Manager, or Child Advocate
- We welcome applicants with other skills and ministry visions.
We try to pair each Barnabas Intern with a Missionary Staff Mentor to guide them and meet with them weekly to check in.
- Follower of Jesus Christ; actively seeking to serve Him.
- 18 years or older.
- Previous cross-cultural ministry experience; experience with NWHCM is preferred.
- Demonstrated spiritual and social maturity.
- Passport (or passport in application process).
- Married applicants must apply individually, however both must be accepted and serve in the same time period.
- Submit General Application
- Submit Barnabas Essays to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what you wish to do during your internship and why.
- Submit References. You will need three references: Minister/Mentor, Professor/Employer, and Peer.
- Send an email with your name and a photo of yourself to: email@example.com
- Complete a phone interview. We will contact you to schedule this after we’ve received your application.
- We will contact you about your application after it has been reviewed.
- Submit Acceptance Packet and Internship Deposit ($800).
- NWHCM Travel Coordinator, Jody Castillo, will contact you about booking your ticket.
- Fund raise and submit final payment.
Costs and Fundraising
$650/month – Ministry Internship ($250 administrative costs, $400 field ministry costs)
$ 0/month – Room, Board & Basic Medical: We provide dormitory housing, three meals a day, and basic medical care in our clinic, free of charge to our interns. Housing options depend on availability, but are generally provided in our men’s or women’s dormitory.
$300 - Travel within Haiti (fixed cost per trip into Haiti)
$500-700 - Flight to Port au Prince, Haiti *estimate only*
For internships longer than four months, you have the option to budget for a second trip, whether to visit home or a supporting church.
One Month Internship: approximately $1,650
Six Month Internship: approximately $4,900
Other Internship Policies
For logistical reasons, flights and travel to, from and on the mission field must be booked through NWHCM.
Interns are not eligible for NWHCM health insurance. However, we do require that you carry some form of health insurance while you are interning.
Travel Insurance is included in your internship costs. This covers the cost of emergency evacuation and some property loss.
Excess monies raised will be held in a support account for 12 months in case the individual decides to take another mission trip during that time. At the end of one year any remaining money will be redirected to the ministries of Northwest Haiti Christian Mission and the support account will be closed.
Most interns choose to bring $50 to $100 per month for entertainment, personal food, clothing, personal travel and other miscellaneous expenses. Those with debt or other bills to be regularly paid, generally find a trusted representative to handle their affairs for them at home.